Welcome to George Mason University
As a student at George Mason University, you’ll have access to some of the best cultural, research and career opportunities in the US. You’ll enjoy hands-on learning experiences inside and outside the classroom, with Washington, D.C. in your backyard.
- 84% of employed students are in positions related to their career goals (Mason Career Plans Survey 2017).
- #22 Nationwide for Top Internship Opportunities (The Princeton Review 2018).
- #22 Most Diverse University in the US (U.S. News & World Report 2018).
- #136 National Universities (U.S. News and World Report 2019).
- #78 Best Undergraduate Business Programs (U.S. News & World Report 2018).
- #140 in National Universities (U.S. News & World Report 2018).
About Glasgow Caledonian University
Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) is an institution that is completely immersed in industry. With a wealth of specialist degrees within the Engineering, Fashion, International Business and Computing fields, GCU bridges the gap between simply learning in a classroom and receiving valuable industry experience.
Its career-focused programmes and specialist subject-specific facilities are designed to help shape your future career goals with both theoretical and practical learning. GCU students engage with their education – will you join them?
Specialist, niche and contemporary degrees
GCU’s degree offering is unlike any other institution. Focusing on your ultimate career prospects right from the start, many degrees at GCU are one of few of its kind in the world – such as an Advanced Internetwork Engineering. Here, you’ll find degrees that delve into the specifics of a subject that you’re interested in, so you’ll become a specialist in your field.
Computing at GCU
GCU has partnered with industry leaders, Internetwork Expert Inc, to develop their outstanding Advanced Internetwork Engineering programme. Students prepare for the Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE) exam, of which only a small percentage of networking professionals actually earn certification for worldwide! The University’s diverse portfolio of computing degrees encompasses many other specialisms too, including Computer Games, Software Development, Animation, Big Data Technology and Digital Security and Forensics.
Engineering at GCU
There is global industrial demand for electrical and electronic engineers in line with the rapid advancements in technology and electronics. GCU offers not only programmes in Electronic and Electronic Engineering, but a variety of other highly sought after Engineering specialisms such as Electrical Power Engineering, Applied Instrumentation and Control, Environmental Civil Engineering, Fire Risk Engineering and Mechanical Engineering. The University has strong links with leading companies such as Siemens, Network Rail, Babcock International, Jaguar and GEC to help get you on your way to a career when you graduate.
Fashion at GCU
Fashion fans have unique opportunities to study niche degrees in this field, such as International Fashion Branding. The University also has a campus in London that delivers popular MBAs in Luxury Brand Marketing and Luxury Brand Management – the first of its kind in the UK! These future-focused Fashion Business programmes have been designed with industry leaders – GCU London even collaborated with the British Fashion Council (the body behind London Fashion Week) to create their Fashion Business Creation programme.
Business at GCU
For those with a head for business, GCU covers everything from International Business to International Human Resource Management and has a strong emphasis on connecting students with businesses through collaborations with industry and expert guest speakers. Studying a Business-based degree at GCU has proven to help many students make their dream of starting their own business come true. Isatou from The Gambia started her own health drinks company with support from GCU and went on to win Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Media ‘VOOM’ business pitch competition and her product was also featured on the BBC.
Career-focused, accredited programmes
Programme accreditations are internationally-recognised approvals by professional bodies that confirm to your future employer that you’ve had great preparation for a career in your chosen subject. Accredited programmes may also give you the opportunity register with a professional body and take certification examinations to boost your employability. GCU has a huge portfolio of programme accreditations across a variety of subject areas, including:
- Mechanical Engineering – accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
- Electrical Power Engineering and Electrical and Electronic Engineering – accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
- Applied Instrumentation and Control – accredited by the Institute of Measurement and Control.
- International Fashion Marketing and International Business – EPAS accreditation by the European Foundation for Management Development.
- International Marketing – accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing.
- International Operations and Supply Chain Management – accredited by the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport and the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply.
- International Human Resource Management – one of a small number of programmes in the UK to be accredited by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development and aligned with standards set by the US Society for Human Resource Management.
- International Banking, Finance and Risk Management – accredited by the Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment and the Chartered Insurance Institute.
- Big Data Technologies, IT Management for Business, Software Development for Business and Computer Games –BCS accredited by the Chartered Institute for IT.
Placements at GCU
There are great opportunities to take a placement or interact with industry-leading companies throughout your degree programme. One INTO GCU alumni, Nadine from The Gambia, progressed to study Mechanical Engineering at GCU. During her degree, she took a work placement with Airbus in Germany – working within the Space Systems department to help develop technology.
Engineering students don’t get to have all the fun, though! Fashion students have access to mentorship programmes, can follow a live fashion business on campus, and also get to listen to big names in industry speak in the career-enhancing Industry Speaker programme.
Computing and IT students all have the opportunity to take a placement, while the 3D Design for Virtual Environments programme welcomes gaming, TV and film industry leaders to campus for regular masterclasses. GCU also has a strong relationship with the NHS, allowing health students to learn from active health and social care professionals.
Innovative facilities to help you succeed
GCU has a contemporary city centre campus in the middle of Glasgow. A modern learning environment filled with cutting-edge, subject-specific facilities and technologies, GCU has been designed to help you gain the professional skills that employers really want. Depending on your degree programme, the facilities you could have access to include:
- Fashion Factory – an industry-standard design and cutting studio that replicates a real industrial environment, facilitating an authentic experience from design right through to production. Students can also access Lectra CAD software packages.
- Networking Labs – six dedicated labs with 30+ CCNA Security and CCNP pods populated with a variety of devices, including Cisco routers and switches, plus an online Netlab system with cyber security, VMWare, CCNA and Cisco environments.
- Interprofessional Simulation Centre – featuring simulated home and hospital environments for health and nursing students, as well as high fidelity recording equipment to create bespoke scenarios that are filmed using the camera system.
- GCU Vision Centre – a functioning on-campus opticians service open to the public Monday–Friday that offers clinical training to students. Specialist services include colour vision assessments, a dispensing service, low vision assessments, and more.
- Game Design Studio – featuring 3D Laser Scanning and Motion Capture tools, a Rapid Prototyping machine, plus 3D Computer Animation and Virtual Reality labs, a HD Video Production suite, an Art Studio and a Digital Audio Recording Studio.